St. Joseph Catholic Church originated in 1881, when a wooden building was constructed where the modern church now stands. Then a part of St. Paul Church in San Pablo, it became a mission of St. Patrick Church in Rodeo in 1923. Finally, in 1947, it became fully independent. Today, it is part of the Oakland Diocese. The parish also includes a school for students in kindergarten through 12th grade, at 1961 Plum Street.