If the stars align for Hercules, it’s possible that you could someday be floating off toward a foggy workday on a ferryboat from the city’s own bay. And when that happens, take a look at the cold steely mound ahead called Alcatraz and know that it wasn’t always just an excuse for tourists to wear those embarassing striped caps purchased along Pier 39. It was once a working prison that housed some of this country’s most hardened criminals, and this week in 1963—after 29 years of operating—it was closed for business.
There’s no escape from 5 Things!
1. Speaking of ferryboats, tonight, March 21, the will meet for a third time to brainstorm about the city’s plan to develop a new urban community along the waterfront. In case you didn’t know, that plan includes a multi-modal transit center with (yes, you guessed it...) a possible ferry terminal. If you want to check out Bayfront Task Force meeting, don’t be intimidated by the name. Just show up at Monday from 6 to 9 p.m.
2. I don’t think I’m the only person around who likes hearing stories about pets, but if I’m wrong, there’s no need to read on. Wait! Yes, there is: A resident on Promenade Street lost a Great Dane dog (spotted like a Dalmatian, but bigger) on Friday night. If you’ve seen her, click to share details. And if you happened to lose a much smaller dog over the weekend, a Hercules household found a drenched poodle-mix on their doorstep Saturday (see picture in gallery). If he’s yours, let Patch know.
3. If you were surprised to hear that the Bayfront Taskforce meeting was on Monday and not Thursday—like it usually is—then you weren’t paying attention to the city’s events calendar over the weekend. And that means…you have a life. So congratulations. It also means that you probably didn’t know that Monday’s planning commission meeting was cancelled. And, no, it’s not just you—last week flew by, and there’s another City Council meeting this Tuesday (7 p.m. in at City Hall).
4. There are always delightful happenings at the , but there’s also a bunch of other fun stuff going on around town, so here’s a mash-up of suggestions:
, at the library, Monday, 3 p.m.
, at the library, Monday, 7 p.m.
HTLP Monthly Movie for Teens: Easy A, at the library, Tuesday, 4 p.m.
, at the Hercules Senior Center, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 5:15 p.m.
, Friday at 9 a.m.
Hercules Community Garden Heirloom Tomato Workshop, at the Ohlone Park community garden, Saturday at 10 a.m.
5. Lastly, a plea: Hercules Patch plans to profile residents running for city council in June, and we . Let us know your questions for the candidates by submitting them .