If you've been reading resident Dean Brightman’s blog on this fair city’s history, you’d know Hercules was once a company town centered around the Hercules Powder Company. Here’s another little piece of history: This week in 1940, that same company had a huge and, sadly, fatal explosion at a plant in New Jersey.
Hercules owes a lot to the company it was incorporated for. Still, it might be a good thing (for safety’s sake) that we don’t have an active plant in town.
Onto 5 Things...
1) The Hercules City Council will on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at City Hall. The meeting will include a presentation relating to the future of the Hercules Redevelopment Agency.
2) On Friday at 7 p.m., Hercules High School’s Titan football team will play Emeryville. This will be a home game for the Titans, so fans won’t have to travel far. Wear your blue, platinum and black to support the team!
3) Saturday is Coastal Cleanup Day. The closest official site to cleanup is at Pinole’s Bayfront Park at the end of Tennant Avenue, but Herculeans can break off to clean up their home turf. Bring gloves, proper clothing and snacks. The event is from 8:30 a.m. to noon (FYI: A few differnt meeting times have been listed. For more information, call (510) 724-9037).
4) The Corvid Connection, an educational organization that helps injured crows and ravens will visit the on Saturday at 2 p.m. to teach about the highly intelligent birds.
5) Are you missing a doggy? Someone found a small female dog last Friday at the corner of Railroad and Santa Fe in Hercules. If you’re little doggy is safely tucked away at home, this Craigslist post might be of interest to you. It’s asking local small dog (30 pounds and under) owners to unite and create a little dog friend network.